University Senior Lecturer and Fellow of Homerton College
Human Geographer with particular interests in gender, social issues and the geographies of inequality.
- 1993-2000: Principal Lecturer in Geography and Education, Homerton College, Cambridge
- 2001-present: Department of Geography, University of Cambridge
- MA University of Cambridge
- PhD University of Cambridge
I have research interests in the field of social geography, with the focus of my work coalescing around social inequalities, particularly in relation to gender, and having a strong policy orientation. I have undertaken research into homelessness and the geographies of domestic violence in Britain, looking particularly at women experiencing domestic abuse in East Anglia, the evolution of the refuge movement and changing patterns of refuge provision through time and space.
A further research focus has been on the gender gap in education. I was co-director of a four-year research project (£444,000) funded by the then Department for Education and Skills. This project, working with around 60 schools across England, in a range of socio-economic contexts, looked at strategies addressing gender and achievement.
Research undertaken as part of this project spawned new work looking at the links between geography, social exclusion and class, and the extent to which education provides a route from exclusion to inclusion within Britain's 'new economy'. Liaison with project schools in the north-east enabled an exploration of aspirations among students from backgrounds without experience of higher education, whilst another project examined contemporary geographies of masculinity and femininity among groups of fifteen-year-olds in schools in rural, suburban, small city and inner city contexts.
Currently my research is linked to the Centre for Commonwealth Education, where I am engaged in projects exploring aspects of gender and education in East Africa and the Caribbean. Working in partnership with colleagues in Kenya and Uganda, I am leading a three-year project focusing on why some girls stay in school to continue their education against despite being from very poor backgrounds or living in communities where education for girls holds little value. Arising from a World Bank and Commonwealth Secretariat sponsored conference in Jamaica, I am also working with the government of Antigua and Barbuda on gender in schools, developing a programme which is currently in the process of being transferred to other small states within the Caribbean.
- Cobbett, M. and Warrington, M. 2013 'Sometimes it's fun to play with them first': girls and boys talking about sexual harassment in Caribbean schools, Culture Health and Sexuality, forthcoming
- Vohya, S. and Warrington, M. 2013 Student voices in Nairobi, Kenya, in M. Robertson and S. Tani (eds.), Young People Cross-Cultural Views and Futures, Victoria: Acer Press, pp. 86-106.
- Robertson, M., Walford, R. and Warrington, M. 2013 Young voices from the United Kingdom: A study of contrasts, in M. Robertson and S. Tani (eds.), Young People Cross-Cultural Views and Futures, Victoria: Acer Press, pp. 166-180.
- Warrington, M., Kiragu, S., Fentiman, A. and Muhwezi, M. 2013 Factors influencing retention in Kenya and Uganda, in J. MacBeath and M. Younger (eds.), Millennium Development Goals Revisited: A Common Wealth of Learning, Routledge, pp. 61-71.
- Kiragu, S. and Warrington, M. 2012 How we used moral imagination to address ethical and methodological complexities while conducting research with girls in school against the odds, Qualitative Research, 13.2: 173-189.
- Warrington, M. 2012 Challenging the status quo: the enabling role of gender sensitive fathers, inspirational mothers and surrogate parents in Uganda, Educational Review, DOI:10.1080/00131911.2012.689274
- Warrington, M. 2012 'You expect school to be the happiest time of their lives, but it's not': new policy spaces and the unattainable pursuit of equity', in R. Brooks, A. Fuller and J. Waters (eds.) Changing Spaces of Education: New Perspectives on the Nature of Learning, Abingdon: Routledge, pp. 96-113.
- Warrington, M. and Kiragu, S. 2012 "It makes more sense to educate a boy": girls 'against the odds' in Kajiado, Kenya, International Journal of Educational Development, 32: 301-309.
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. 2011 "Life is a tightrope": reflections on peer group inclusion and exclusion amongst adolescent girls and boys, Gender and Education, 23.2: 153-168.
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2009 Mentoring and target-setting in a secondary school in England: an evaluation of aims and benefits, Oxford Review, 35.2: 169-185
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2008 The Gender Agenda in Primary Teacher Education in England: fifteen lost years? Journal of Education Policy, 23.4: 429-445
- Warrington, M. 2008 Decisions and Transitions: meeting the needs of the 'knowledge economy', Environment and Planning: Government and Policy, 26.5: 924-937
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2008 The Gender Agenda in Primary Teacher Education in England: fifteen lost years? Journal of Education Policy 23.4: 429-445
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2007 Single-Sex Classes in Co-educational Schools, Genderwatch Still Watching ..., Stoke-on-Trent: Trentham Books
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2007 Closing the Gender Gap? Issues of gender equity in English secondary schools, Discourse: studies in the cultural politics of education 28.2: 219-242
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. 2007 Partnerships in Gender Research: Processes and Outcomes, Fou i Praksis 2006 Rapport fra konferanse om praksisrettet FoU i laererutdanning, Trondheim: Tapir adakdemisk forlag
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2007 In the End is the Beginning: The Search for Gender Equity in English Education, in R. Teese, S. Lamb and M. Duru-Bellat (eds) Education and Equity: International Perspectives on Theory and Policy (Vol.2), Springer Publishing: Dortrecht
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2006 Would Harry and Hermione Have Done Better in Single-Sex Classes? A Review of Single-Sex Teaching in Coeducational Secondary Schools in the United Kingdom, American Educational Research Journal 43.4: 579-620
- Warrington, M. and Younger M. 2006 Raising Boys' Achievement in Primary Schools: an holistic approach, Maidenhead: Open University Press
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. 2006 Working on the inside: discourses, dilemmas and decisions, Gender and Education 18.3: 265-280
- Warrington, M. 2005 Mirage in the Desert? Access to educational opportunities in an area of social exclusion, Antipode, 37.4:796-816
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2005 Raising Boys' Achievement in Secondary Schools: Issues, Dilemmas and Opportunities, Maidenhead: Open University Press
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2005 Raising Boys' Achievement, London; Department for Education and Skills, Research Report 636
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. 2003 "We Decided To Give It a Twirl": single-sex teaching in English Comprehensive Schools, Gender and Education 15.4: 339-350
- Warrington, M. 2003 Fleeing from fear: the role of refuges, Capital and Class, 80:123-150
- Warrington, M., Younger, M. and McLellan, R. 2003 "Under-achieving boys" in English primary schools: The Curriculum Journal 14.2: 139-156
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 2002 Single-sex teaching in a co-educational comprehensive school in England: an evaluation based upon students' performance and classroom interactions, British Educational Research Journal 28.3: 353-374
- Younger, M., Warrington, M. and McLellan, R. 2002 The "Problem" of "Under-achieving Boys": some responses from English secondary schools, School Leadership and Management 22.4: 387-403
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. 2001 Single-sex Classes and Equal Opportunities for Girls and Boys: Perspectives through time from a mixed comprehensive school in England, Oxford Review of Education 27.3: 339-356
- Warrington, M. 2001 "I must get out": the geographies of domestic violence, Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers NS26.3: 365:383
- Warrington, M., Younger, M. and Williams, J. 2000 'Student Attitudes, Image and the Gender Gap' British Educational Research Journal 26.3: 393-407
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. 2000 The Other Side of the Gender Gap, Gender and Education 12.4: 493-508
- Warrington, M. and Younger, M. 1999 Perspectives on the gender gap in English secondary schools, Research Papers in Education 14.1: 51-77
- Younger, M. Warrington, M. and Williams, K. 1999 The Gender Gap and Classroom Interactions: reality and rhetoric? British Journal of Sociology of Education 20.3: 325-341
- Warrington, M. 1996 Running to stand still: housing the homeless in the 1990s Area 28.4: 471-481
- Younger, M. and Warrington, M. 1996 Differential Achievement of Girls and Boys at GCSE, British Journal of Sociology of Education 17.3: 299-313
- Warrington, M. 1995 Welfare pluralism or shadow state? The provision of social housing in the 1990s, Environment and Planning A 27: 1341-1360
Geographical Tripos (Undergraduate level)
- Part IA Paper 1: Human Geography
- Part IA Geographical Skills and Methods
- Part II Imagining Europe