Department of Geography Visiting Academic scheme
- See also: Visiting PhD Student Scheme
Please note that since January 2014, application procedures for visiting academics have changed. These are open only to staff employed outside of the University of Cambridge and not to graduate students or recently completed PhD students at Cambridge. Please carefully consult the new form before applying.
The department welcomes academic visitors from all parts of the world whose stay will be of mutual research benefit to the individual and the sponsor or department. Successful applicants will be those who:
- The department can offer work space during their stay (unless not required)
- Have the strong support of a Cambridge geographer or research group within the department
- Can demonstrate the value of their visit for themselves and for the department
- Are able to pay bench fees and support themselves in Cambridge
Once you have completed the form below, your sponsor within our Department will be asked to write a case for support, which will help the Research Policy Committee to reach a final decision. We will only request references if they are necessary to inform the decision. Application deadlines are as follows:
- 24 October
- 12 January
- 20 February
- 1 May
You are advised to apply in sufficient time to allow you to make arrangements to come to Cambridge, meeting any immigration requirements, should your application be successful.
Bench fees apply for the use of the University and Department facilities and are calculated on a termly rather than weekly or daily basis.
|Length of stay||Fee (excluding VAT)*|
|1 year (12 months)||£2000|
* VAT (20%) is chargeable to all UK and overseas visitors unless they are students.
Bench fees cover:
- Reasonable use of postage and faxing
- Internal and local telephone calls from the Visiting Academic room
- IT facilities, photocopying and printing in the Department
- Access to public computers
- Departmental Library facilities
- Access to the University Library
Bench fees do not cover:
- Long distance and overseas telephone calls from the Visiting Academic room
- Lab consumables costs
- Equipment costs
Bench fees will be paid on the first day in the Department.
A deposit of £10 is to be paid for each key issued as well as a deposit of £10 for the University card.
IMPORTANT: Please note that it is the Visiting Academic's responsibility to deal with immigration, visas, accommodation and family issues. Non-EEA (European Economic Area) academic visitors will need to obtain appropriate immigration clearance. The Department does not process immigration applications.International visitors from non English speaking countries will be asked to provide valid English language certificates or provide other additional evidence of reasonable competency in English language.
The department will not sign any contracts or enter into any agreements with either visitors or their institutions.