Department of Geography Visiting Academic scheme
If you wish to spend some time doing research in our Department as a Visiting Academic you need to:
- Make sure that you have enough funds to pay your bench fees and support yourself in Cambridge
- Be invited by a Departmental member of the academic staff
- Make sure we can offer you a work space during the period of time you wish to spend in the Department
Speculative applications may be taken in consideration and will be subject to receiving satisfactory references.
Please note that international visitors from non English speaking countries will be asked to provide valid English language certificates or provide other additional evidence of reasonable competency in English language.
Please note that the department will not sign any contracts or enter into any agreements with either visitors or their institutions.
Bench fees apply for the use of the University and Department facilities.
|Length of stay||Fee (excluding VAT)*|
|1 year (12 months)||£2000|
* VAT (20%) is chargeable to all UK and overseas visitors unless they are students
Bench fees cover:
- Reasonable use of postage and faxing
- Internal and local telephone calls from the Visiting Academic room
- IT facilities, photocopying and printing in the Department
- Access to public computers
- Departmental Library facilities
- Access to the University Library
Bench fees do not cover:
- Long distance and overseas telephone calls from the Visiting Academic room
- Use of a workstation (you are advised to bring your own laptop, which you will need to register by filling in the laptop registration form)
- Lab consumables costs
- Equipment costs
Visitors to the University of University of Cambridge Centre for Gender Studies will be charged an additional amount to face the costs incurred by the Centre.
Bench fees will be paid on the first day in the Department.
A deposit of £10 is to be paid for the key to the Visiting Academic room as well as a deposit of £10 for the University card.
IMPORTANT: Please note that it is the Visiting Academic's responsibility to deal with immigration, visas, accommodation and family issues.