Susan J. Smith
Honorary Professor of Social and Economic Geography and The Mistress of Girton College
Professor Smith has had a distinguished career both as a human geographer and in the interdisciplinary world of housing studies.
In addition to a research career spanning more than 20 years, Professor Smith is experienced in research management, research strategy, and research assessment of all kinds. She has contributed to the work of the ESRC (Research Grants Board, Professorial Fellowships Commissioning Panel, Public Services Programme Commissioning Panel), HEFCE (as a panel member in the 2001 and 2008 Research Assessment Exercises), the Leverhulme Trust (Philip Leverhulme Prize panel), and to research development and monitoring in HEIs within and beyond the UK. She also has a wide-ranging teaching and examining portfolio, at all levels, in a variety of topics.
- 2010 – Present: Honorary Professor of Geography, Cambridge University
- 2009 – Present: Mistress of Girton College, Cambridge
- 2008 – Present: Adjunct Professor (Honorary), RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2004 – 2009: Professor of Geography and a Director of the Institute of Advanced Study at Durham University
- 1990 – 2004: Ogilvie Chair of Geography at the University of Edinburgh
- 1985 – 1990: Research Fellow, Department of Social and Economic Research (Centre for Housing Research), Glasgow University
- 1984 – 1985: Research Fellow, Department of Government (Centre for the Study of Community and Race Relations), Brunel University
- 1981 – 1982: Junior Research Fellow, St Peter's College and School of Geography, University of Oxford
- D.Phil., Faculty of Anthropology and Geography, and Nuffield College, Oxford University
- B.A., M.A. in Geography, St Anne's College, Oxford Univesity
Awards and scholarships
- Julian Minghi Outstanding Research Award (2009) shared with Rachel Pain for our work on 'Fear: Critical Geopolitics and Everyday Life'.
- Fellow of the British Academy (2008-present)
- ESRC Professorial Fellow (2005-7)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE) (2000 – present)
- Inaugural Fellow, Academy of Learned Societies for the Social Sciences (AcSS) (1999 – present)
- Murchison Award for contributions to social and cultural geography (1998)
- President, Section E, British Association for Advancement of Science (1996)
- Jean Monnet Professorial Fellowship, European University Institute, Florence/ Fiesole (April-August 1996)
- Christensen Fellowship, St. Catherine's College, Oxford University (January-March 1996)
Professor Smith's research is centrally concerned with the challenge of inequality, addressing themes as diverse as residential segregation, housing for health and fear of crime. Her current research focussed squarely on the housing economy, and particularly on the uneven integration of housing, mortgage and financial markets. He work has been funded by research councils, government grants and charitable trusts.
Her most recent research project is an ongoing study of 'The edges of homeownership' funded by the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute (with Gavin Wood and Rachel Ong). This builds on an earlier project funded by Australian Research Council on 'Housing wealth and welfare. Unlocking housing wealth over the life course' (with Gavin Wood and Judith Bessant). There is also a recently-completed an evaluation of the UKs 'Support for mortgage interest' benefit (with Moira Munro and Janet Ford).
Professor Smith also continues to analyse and write from three ESRC-funded projects: 'Pathways of housing wealth and wellbeing: precipitants and consequences of mortgage equity withdrawal in BHPS and HILDA' (with Beverley Searle and Sarah Curtis); a project funded under Phase II of the Cultures of Consumption Programme 'Banking on Housing; Spending the Home'; and underpinning all this, her ESRC professional fellowship research programme, 'Trading Places: the Complex Economy of Housing Markets'.
Past ESRC-funded projects include: 'Health, life insurance and financial inclusion' (with Paul Bennett and Donna Easterlow); 'The anatomy of a housing boom' (with Liz Bondi, Hazel Christie and Moira Munro); 'Health and the housing market' (with Donna Easterlow and Moira Munro). In the early 1990s Professor Smith also completed suite of projects around 'Housing provision for people with health and accessibility needs' funded by the Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
Books / larger works, authored and edited
- Smith S. J. (Editor-in-Chief) (2012) International Encyclopaedia of Housing and Home Elsevier, Major Reference Work (7 volumes, 3m words, commissioned)
- Smith, SJ and Searle, BA (eds) (2010) The Blackwell Companion to the Economics of Housing. The Housing Wealth of Nations. Wiley-Blackwell
- Smith S. J., Pain R, Jones, J-P and Marston, S. (eds) (2010) Handbook of Social Geography. Sage
- Smith, S. J. and Munro, M. (eds) (2009) The Microstructures of Housing Markets. Routledge
- Pain, R. and Smith S. J. (eds) (2008) Critical GeoPolitics of Fear. Ashgate
- Smith, S. J., Ford, J. and Munro, M. (2002) A Review of Flexible Mortgages. Council of Mortgage Lenders.
- Roberts, H., Smith, S. J. and Bryce, C. (1995) Children at Risk? Open University Press.
- Smith, S. J., Knill-Jones, R. and McGuckin, A. (eds) (1991) Housing for Health. Longman
- Clapham, D., Kemp, P. and Smith, S. J. (1990) Housing and Social Policy. Macmillan.
- Smith, S. J. (1989) The Politics of 'Race' and Residence Polity Press.
- Smith, S. J. and Mercer, J. (eds) (1987) New Perspectives on 'Race' and Housing in Britain. Studies in Housing 2. Glasgow: Centre for Housing Research
- Smith, S. J. (1986, reprinted 2010) Crime, Space and Society. Cambridge University Press.
- Jackson, P. and Smith, S. J. (1984) Exploring Social Geography. Allen &Unwin.
- Peach. C., Robinson, V. & Smith, S. J. (eds) (1981) Ethnic Segregation in Cities. Croom Helm.
- Jackson, P. and Smith, S. J. (eds) (1981) Social Interaction and Ethnic Segregation. Academic Press (IBG Special Publication number 12).
- Lowe, S., Searle, B. A, and Smith, S. J. (2011) From housing wealth to mortgage debt: the emergence of Britain's asset-shaped welfare state. Social Policy and Society 11: 105-116
- Smith, S. J. (2011) Housing Economics: The Heterodox Experiment. Response to Comments. Housing, Theory and Society 28: 300-304
- Smith S. J. (2011) Home Price Dynamics. A Behavioural Economy? Housing, Theory and Society 28: 236-261
- Lovell, H. and Smith, S. J. (2010) Agencement in Housing Markets: The Case of the UK Construction Industry. GeoForum 41: 457-68
- Richards, K. and 14 others (the geography RAE panel) (2009) The Nature of Publishing and Assessment in Geography and Environmental Studies: Evidence from the Research Assessment Exercise in 2008. Area 41: 1-13
- Parkinson, S., Searle, B. A., Smith, S. J., Stoakes, A. and Wood, G. (2009) Mortgage Equity Withdrawal in Australia and Britain: Towards a Wealth-fare State? European Journal of Housing Policy 9: 363-387
- Cook, N. Smith, SJ and Searle, BA (2009) Mortgage Markets and Cultures of Consumption. Consumption, Markets and Culture 12: 133-154
- Searle, B. A., Smith, S. J. and Cook, N. (2009) From Housing Wealth to Well-being? Sociology of Health and Illness 31: 112-127
- Smith, S. J., Searle, B. A. and Cook, N. (2009) Rethinking the Risks of Owner Occupation. Journal of Social Policy 38: 83-102.
- Christie, H., Smith, S. J. and Munro, M. (2008) The Emotional Economy of Housing. Environment and Planning A 40: 2296-2312.
- Munro, M. and Smith S. J. (2008) Calculated Affection? The Complex Economy of Home Purchase. Housing Studies 23: 349-367.
- Smith, S. J. and Searle, B. A. (2008) Dematerializing Money: Observations on the Flow of Wealth from Housing to Other Things. Housing Studies 23: 21-43.
- Smith S. J. (2008) Owner Occupation: Living with a Hybrid of Money and Materials. Environment and Planning A 40: 520-535
- Wood, N., Duffy, M. and Smith S. J. (2007) The Art of Doing (Geographies of) Music. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 25: 867-889.
- Bennett, P. and Smith S. J. (2007) Genetics, Insurance and Participation: How a Citizen's Jury Reached its Verdict. Social Science and Medicine 64: 2487-2498.
- Smith, S. J., Munro, M. and Christie (2006) Performing (Housing) Markets. Urban Studies 43: 81-98.
- Smith, S. J. (2005) Risky Business? The Challenge of Residential Mortgage Markets. Housing Finance International 19: 3-8.
- Smith, S. J. and Easterlow, D. (2005) The Strange Geography of Health Inequalities. Transactions, Institute of British Geographers 30: 173-190.
- Smith, S. J. (2005) Care-full Markets? A Reply. Political Geography 24: 35-38.
- Smith, S. J. (2005) States, Markets and an Ethic of Care. Political Geography 24: 1-20.
- Wood, N. and Smith, S. J. (2004) Instrumental Routes to Emotional Geographies. Social and Cultural Geography 5: 533-548.
- Easterlow, D., and Smith S. J. (2004) Housing for Health: Can the Market Care?' Environment and Planning A 36: 999-1017.
- Smith, S. J., Easterlow, D. and Munro. M. (2004) Housing for Health: Does the Market Work? Environment and Planning A 36: 579-600.
- Easterlow, D. and Smith S. J. (2003) Health and Employment: Towards a New Deal. Policy and Politics 31: 511-34.
- Smith, S. J., Easterlow, D., Munro, M. and Turner, K. (2003) Housing as Health Capital. How Health Trajectories and Housing Careers are Linked. Journal of Social Issues 59: 512-25.
- Smith, S. J. and Ford, J. (2002) Home Ownership: Flexible and Sustainable? Housing Finance 55: 36-53.
- Munro, M., Smith, S. J. and Ford, J. (2000) Flexible Futures? Lenders' Views of Flexible Mortgages. Housing Finance 50: 30-36.
- Smith, S. J. (2000) Performing the (Sound)World. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 18: 615-637.
- Easterlow, D., Smith, S. J. and Mallinson (2000) Housing for Health: the Role of Owner Occupation. Housing Studies 15: 367-386.
- Smith, S. J. (1997) Beyond Geography's Visible Worlds. Progress in Human Geography 21: 502-29.
- Smith, S. J., Alexander, A. and Easterlow (1997) Rehousing as a Health Intervention: Miracle or Mirage? Health and Place 5: 203-216.
- Easterlow, D. and Smith, S. J. (1997) Fit for the Future? A role for Health Professionals in Housing Provision. Public Health 111: 171-178.
- Smith, S. J. and Mallinson, S. (1997) Housing for Health in a Post-welfare State. Housing Studies 12: 173-200.
- Smith, S. J. (1996) Bordering on identity. Scotlands 3: 18 -31.
- Smith, S. J. and Mallinson, S. (1996) The Problem with Social Housing. Discretion, Accountability and the Welfare Ideal. Policy and Politics 24: 339-358.
- Smith, S. J. (1995) Citizenship: All or Nothing Political Geography 14: 190-193.
- Smith, S. J. (1994) Soundscape. Area 26: 232-240.
- Smith, S. J., McGuckin, A. and Walker, A. (1994) Healthy Alliance? The Role of Health Professionals in Housing Management. Public Health 108: 175-83.
- Roberts, H., Smith, S. J. and Bryce, C. (1993) Prevention is better... Sociology of Health and Illness 15: 447-63.
- Smith, S. J. (1993) Bounding the Borders. Claiming space and making place in rural Scotland. Transactions, Institute of British Geographers NS 18: 291-308.
- Shanks, N. and Smith, S. J. (1992) Public Policy and the Health of Homeless People. Policy and Politics 20: 35-46.
- Smith S. J. (1991) 'Race' and Racism: Health, Welfare and the Quality of Life. Urban Geography 11: 606-616
- Smith, S. J. (1990) Health Status and the Housing System. Social Science and Medicine 31: 753-762
- Kelly, E., Mitchell, J. C. and Smith, S. J. (1990) Factors in the Length of Stay of Homeless Families in Temporary Accommodation. Sociological Review 38: 621-633.
- Madigan, R., Munro, M. and Smith, S. J. (1990) Gender and the Meaning of the Home. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 14: 625-647.
- Smith, S. J. (1990) Social Geography: Patriarchy, Racism, Nationalism. Progress in Human Geography 14: 261-271.
- Smith, S. J. (1990) 'Race' and Racism. Urban Geography 10: 593-603.
- Smith, S. J. (1990) AIDS, Housing and Health. British Medical J 300: 243-5.
- Clapham, D. and Smith, S. J. (1990) Housing Policy and Special Needs. Policy and Politics 18: 193-205.
- Smith, S. J. (1990) Income, Housing Wealth and Gender Inequality. Urban Studies 27: 59-78.
- Smith, S. J. (1989) Society, Space and Citizenship: A Human Geography for the 'New Times'? Transactions, Institute of British Geographers NS 14: 144-56.
- Smith, S. J. (1989) Social Geography: Social Policy and the Restructuring of Welfare. Progress in Human Geography 13: 118-28.
- Munro, M. and Smith, S. J. (1989) Gender and Housing: Broadening the Debate. Housing Studies 4: 3-17.
- Smith, S. J. (1988) Political Interpretations of Racial Segregation. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 6: 423-444.
- Smith, S. J. (1987) Design Against Crime? Beyond the Rhetoric of Residential Crime Prevention. Journal of Property Management 5: 146-50.
- Smith, S. J. (1987) Fear of Crime: Beyond the Geography of Deviance. Progress in Human Geography 11: 1-23.
- Smith, S. J. (1986) Police Accountability and Local Democracy. Area 18: 99-107.
- Smith, S. J. (1984) Crime in the News. British J Criminology 24: 289-295.
- Smith, S. J. (1984) Crime and the Structure of Social Relations. Transactions, Institute of British Geographers New Series 9: 427-442.
- Smith, S. J. (1984) Practising Humanistic Geography. Annals, Association of American Geographers 74: 353-374.
- Smith, S. J. (1984) Negotiating Ethnicity in an Uncertain Environment. Ethnic and Racial Studies 7: 360-373.
- Smith, S. J. (1983) Public Policy and the Effects of Crime in the Inner City. Urban Studies 20: 229-239.
- Smith, S. J. (1982) Race and Reactions to Crime. New Community 10: 233-242.
- Smith, S. J. (1982) Victimisation in the Inner City - a British Case Study. British Journal of Criminology 22: 386-402.
- Smith, S. J. (1981) Humanistic Method in Contemporary Social Geography. Area 13: 193-198.
Chapters in books (other than introductory material to self-edited collections)
- Smith, S. J. (2012) 'Care-full markets: miracle or mirage' in Tanner Lecture Library (Clare Hall Tanner Lectures 2010) forthcoming at: http://www.tannerlectures.utah.edu/lectures/atoz.html
- Smith, S. J. (2012) 'Crisis and Innovation in the Housing Economy: A Tale of Three Markets' in Financial Innovation and Economic Crisis. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press (M. Haliossis, ed).
- Roberts, H., Smith, S. J., Campbell, B. and Rice, C. (2011) 'Safety as a Social Value: Revisiting a Participatory Case Study in Scotland' in Converging Disciplines: A Transdiciplinary Research Approach to Urban Health Problems. Springer (Kirst, M., Schaefer-McDaniel, N., Hwang, S. and O'Campo, P., eds)
- Smith, S. J. (2010) 'Housing Futures: A Role for Derivatives?' in Companion to the Economics of Housing. NY and Oxford: Blackwell-Wiley (S. J. Smith and B. A. Searle, eds)
- Colic-Peisker, V., Johnson, M. and Smith, S. J. (2010) 'Pots of Gold: Housing Wealth and Well-being in Australia' in Companion to the Economics of Housing. NY and Oxford: Blackwell-Wiley (S. J. Smith and B. A. Searle, eds)
- Searle, B. A. and Smith, S. J. (2010) 'Housing Wealth as Insurance: Insights From the UK' in Companion to the Economics of Housing. NY and Oxford: Blackwell-Wiley (S. J. Smith and B. A. Searle, eds)
- Smith, S. J. (2009) 'Managing Financial Risk: The Strange Case of Housing' in Managing Financial Risks: From Global to Local. Oxford: Oxford University Press (G. Glark, Dixon, A. and Monk, A. H. B., eds)
- Smith, S. J. and Pain, R. (2008) 'Critical Geopolitics and Everyday Fears' in Fear of Crime: Critical Voices in an Age of Anxiety. London: Routledge (M. Lee and S. Farrell, S, eds.)
- Hopkins, P. and Smith S. J. (2008) 'Scaling Segregation; Racializing Fear' in Critical Geopolitics of Fear. Aldershot: Ashgate (R. Pain and S. J. Smith, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (2006) 'Home Ownership: Managing a Risky Business?' in Home Ownership: getting in, getting out, getting from. Delft: IOS Press (J. Doling and M. Elsinga, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. and Easterlow, D. (2004) 'The Problem with Welfare' in Geographies and Moralities. Oxford: Blackwell (D. Smith and R. Lee, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (2004) 'Black/white' in Spaces of Geographical Thought. London: Routledge (P. Cloke and R. Johnston, eds.)
- Easterlow, D. and Smith S. J. (2003) 'Housing Policy and Health in Britain' in Housing and Health: The Role of Primary Care. Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Press (P. Gill. P. and G. de Wildt, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (2001) 'Doing Qualitative Research: From Interpretation to Action' in Qualitative Methodologies for Geographers. London: Arnold (M. Limb and C. Dwyer, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1999, revised 2005) Society-Space in Introducing Human Geographies (1st and 2nd editions). London: Arnold (P. Cloke, P. Crang and M. Goodwin, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1998) 'The Cultural Politics of Difference' in Human Geography Today. Cambridge: Polity Press (D. Massey, J. Allen and P. Sarre, eds.)
- Smith, S. J., Bondi, L. and Rose, G. (1995) 'Edinburgh 2003: An Approach to Fieldwork in Human Geography' Developing Skill-based Curricula through the Discipline: Case Studies of Good Practice in Geography. Birmingham: SEDA (A. Jenkins and A. Ward, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1995) 'Where to Draw the Line: A Geography of Popular Festivity' in The Urban Context. Oxford: Berg, 141 -163 (A. Rogers and S. Vertovec, eds.)
- Rice, C., Roberts, H., Smith, S. J. and Bryce, C. (1994) ' "It's Like Teaching your Child to Swim in a Pool full of Alligators". Lay Voices and Professional Research on Child Accidents' in Researching the Public Health. London: Routledge (J. Popay and G. Williams, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1994) 'Urban Geography in a Changing World' in Rethinking Human Geography. Basingstoke: Macmillan (D. Gregory, R. Martin and G. Smith, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. 1993 'Immigration and Nation-Building in Canada and the UK' in Social Constructions of Race, Place and Nation. London: UCLpress (P. Jackson, J. Penrose, eds.)
- Smith S. J. (1993) 'Social Landscapes: Continuity and Change' in A Changing World: A Changing Discipline? Oxford: Blackwell (R. Johnston, ed)
- Smith, S. J. (1993) 'Residential Segregation and the Politics of Racialisation' in Racism, the City and the State. London: Unwin Hyman (M. Cross and M. Keith, eds.)
- Roberts, H., Smith, S. J. and Lloyd, M. (1992) 'Safety as a Social Value: A Community Approach' in Private Risks and Public Dangers. London: Avebury (S. Scott, G. Williams, S. Platt. and H. Thomas, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. and Hill, S. (1992) 'An Unwelcome Home' in Built to Last? London: Shelter (Grant, C. ed)
- Smith, S. J. 1991 'Introduction' (with A.McGuckin) and 'Conclusion' (with A. McGuckin and R. Knill-Jones) to Housing for Health. London: Longman (S. J. Smith et al. eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1991) 'Housing Opportunities for People with Health Problems: An Overview' in Housing for Health. London Longman (S. J. Smith et al. eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1989) 'The Politics of Race and a New Segregationism' in The Political Geography of Contemporary Britain. Basingstoke: Macmillan (J. Mohan, ed)
- Smith, S. J. (1989) 'Confronting the Challenge of Urban Crime' in Social Problems and the City (2nd edition). Oxford: Oxford University Press (D. Herbert and D. Smith, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1989) 'Social Relations, Neighbourhood Structure and the Fear of Crime in Britain' in The Geography of Crime. London: Croom Helm (D. Evans and D. Herbert, eds.)
- Clapham, D. and Smith, S. J. (1988) 'Urban Social Policy' in Social Services in Scotland (3rd edition). Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press (J. English, ed)
- Smith, S. J. (1988) 'Constructing Local Knowledge: The Analysis of Self in Every day Life' in Qualitative Methods in Geography. Cambridge: Polity Press (J. Eyles and D.Smith, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1987) 'Residential Segregation - a Geography of English Racism?' in Race and Racism. London: George Allen and Unwin (P. Jackson, ed)
- Smith, S. J. (1985) 'News and the Dissemination of Fear' in Geography, the Media and Popular Culture. London: Croom Helm (J. Burgess and J. Gold, eds.)
- Smith, S. J. (1981) 'Crime in the Inner City' in Social Interaction and Ethnic Segregation. London: Academic Press (P. Jackson and S. J. Smith, eds.)
Selected other publications
- Munro, M., Smith, SJ and Ford, J. (2010) An evaluation of the January 2009 arrangements for support for mortgage interest. Department for Work and Pensions Research Report 711 Crown Copyright
- Smith S. J. (2009) 'Housing: Risky Business' in Thinking About Almost Everything. Profile Books (Amin. A. and O'Neil, M. eds)
- Belsky, E., Case, K. and Smith, S. J. (2008) Identifying, managing and mitigating risks to borrowers in changing mortgage and consumer credit markets. UCC08-14 Harvard: Joint Center for Housing Studies
- Smith S J (2007) 'Inhabiting Dangerous Territory' and 'A Possible Future for the Market'. Two pieces on housing, mortgage and financial markets) The Times Higher Education Supplement 1796 (1 June): 16-17.
- Smith S J (2007) The Wealthfare State? Roof July-August: 42-3.
- Smith, S. J., Cook, N. and Searle, B. A. (2007) From Canny Consumer to Care-full Citizen: Towards a Nation of Home Stewardship? Cultures of Consumption Working Paper 35.
- Smith, S. J. (2006) Housing Investment: Options for the Future Property Forecast 9 (12): 6-8.
- Smith, S. J. (2005) Banking on Housing? Speculating on the Role and Relevance of Housing Wealth in Britain. Joseph Rowntree Foundation Inquiry into Home Ownership 2010.
- Collaborative work (2003) Housing and Health: Building for the Future British Medical Association publication (key housing policy recommendations submitted by Smith, S. J. and Easterlow, D.).
- Smith, S. J. (2003) Reply to comments on my own book 'Crime, space and society' in 'Classics in Human Geography Revisited' Progress in Human Geography 27: 337-9.
- Smith, S. J., Alanen, A. R. and Massey, D. (2002) Research Programme for Urban Studies 1998-2001 Evaluation Report Publications of the Academy of Finland 5/02 (Helsinki).
- Smith, S. J. and Roberts, H. (1995/6) Accidents will happen Edit 9: 18-21.
- Smith, S. J. (1995) Speaking Volumes (comment on key books) Times Higher.
- Collaborative work: Standing Conference on Public Health Working Party (1994) Housing, Homelessness and Health. London: Nuffield Provincial Hospitals Trust.
- Smith, S. J. (1993) Tip of the iceberg. Health Service Journal 103 (5341), 22-24.
- Smith, S. J. (1993) Housing Provision for People with Health and Mobility Needs. Findings 86 York: Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
- Bryce, C. Roberts, H. and Smith, S. J. (1992) It's Not All Safety Gates and Fireguards. Times Health Supplement, April : 7-8.
- Bryce, C., Roberts, H. and Smith, S. J. (1992) 'If Childrens' Accidents Were Contagious They'd Do Something About Them': Child Accident Prevention and Local Knowledge. Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents Newsletter.
- Smith, S. J. and Roberts, H. (1991) Accident Prevention and Local Knowledge. Times Health Supplement, October: 5-6.
- Smith, S. J. and Hill, S. (1991) Unwelcome Home. Roof March-April : 38-41.
- Smith, S. J. (1989) Gender Differences in the Attainment and Experience of Owner-occupation in Australia. Working Paper 19. Australian National University, Canberra: Urban Research Unit.
- Kearns, A. and Smith, S . J. (1989) Housing Studies of the New Times: on Postfordism and Postmodernism. Discussion Paper 32. Glasgow University Centre for Housing Research.
- Smith, S. J. (1989) Housing and Health: Review and Research Agenda. Discussion Paper 27. Glasgow: Centre for Housing Research.
- Smith, S. J. (1989) Housing for Sons and Daughters. Runnymede Trust Bulletin 225: 11-13.
- Smith, S. J. (1986) 'Social and Spatial Aspects of the Fear of Crime' in The Geography of Crime (D. T. Herbert et al.) North Staffordshire Polytechnic Department of Geography Occasional Paper 7.
- Smith, S. J. (1986) Crime and Housing: Managing the Risks. Housing 22 (3): 11-13.
- Smith, S. J. (1982) Race and Crime Statistics. Background Paper No. 2 London: BSR Race, Pluralism and Community Group.
- Smith, S. J. (1982) Police, Crime and Fear in the Inner City. Police Review 90: 534-536.
- Currently lecturing to first year undergraduates on the crisis of residential capitalism
- PhD supervision in areas of social and economic geography concerned with housing, mortgage and financial markets, including house prices, housing wealth, mortgage debt, and financial innovation
- Chair of Kettle's Yard Committee
- Chair of Cambridge University Opera Society Senior Committee