Bill Adams MA MSc PhD
Moran Professor of Conservation and Development and Fellow of Downing College
Bill Adams works on the social drivers of the loss and protection of nature.
- 1984-present: Department of Geography, University of Cambridge.
- B.A. in Geography
- M.Sc in Conservation, University of London
- PhD Geography, University of Cambridge.
Bill Adams is a member of the Political Ecology group, on whose website details of research projects are available.
I am interested in the evolution of ideas in conservation and resource development, and what happens when they are applied. I am currently particularly interested in:
- the conservation of nature in landscapes extensively transformed by human action;
- the political ecology of landscape-scale conservation and ecological restoration
- ecosystems services and the conservation imagination
- Sustainability in theory and practice
- Leader-Williams, N, Adams, WM and Smith, RJ (Eds) (2010) Trade-offs in Conservation: deciding what to save. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwells, in press. ISBN 978-1405193832 [flyer]
- Hutton J., Dickson, B. and Adams W.M. (2009) (eds) Recreational Hunting, Conservation and Rural Livelihoods, Blackwells, Oxford.
- Adams, W.M. (2008) Green Development: environment and sustainability in a developing world, Routledge, London (third edition)
- Adams, W.M. (2008) Conservation, Routledge Major Work (4 Vols), Routledge, London
- Adams, W.M. and Jeanrenaud, S.J. (2004) Transition to Sustainability: towards a humane and diverse world, IUCN, Gland
- Adams, W.M. (2004) Against Extinction: the story of conservation, Earthscan, London
- Adams, W.M. (2003) Future Nature: a vision for conservation, Earthscan, London (second edition)
- Adams, W.M. and Mulligan, M. (2003) (eds.) Decolonising Nature: strategies for conservation in a postcolonial era, Earthscan, London
- Mortimore. M. and Adams, W.M. (1999) Working the Sahel: environment and society in northern Nigeria, Routledge, London.
- Adams, W.M., Goudie, A.S. and Orme, A.R. (eds.) (1996) The Physical Geography of Africa, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Adams, W.M. (1992) Wasting the Rain: rivers, people and planning Africa, Minnesota University Press, Minneapolis and Earthscan, London.
- Adams, W.M. (1986) Nature's Place: conservation sites and countryside change, Allen and Unwin, Hemel Hempstead.
- Hodge, , I.D. and Adams, W.M. (2012) 'Neoliberalization, rural land trusts and institutional blending', Geoforum DOI: 10.1016/j.geoforum.2011.11.007
- Hirsch, P.D., Adams, W.M., Brosius, J.P., Zia, A.M., Bariola,N., Dammert, J.L. (2011). 'Acknowledging conservation trade-offs and embracing complexity', Conservation Biology. 25(2): 259-264
- Adams, W.M. (2010) 'Conservation plc.', Oryx 44(4): 482-4 doi:10.1017/S0030605310001213
- Adams. W.M. (2008) 'Conservation, carbon and transition to sustainability', Oryx 42: 469-470
- Adams. W.M. (2008) Thinking like a Human: social science and the two cultures problem, Oryx 41: 275-276
- Upton, C., Ladle, R., Hulme, D., Jiang, T., Brockington, D. and Adams, W.M. (2008) 'Are poverty and protected area establishment linked at a national scale?' Oryx 42(1): 19-25.
- Carter, E., Adams, W.M. and Hutton, J. (2008) 'Private Protected Areas: Management regimes, tenure arrangements and protected area categorization in East Africa', Oryx 42: 177-186
- Adams, W.M. and Jon Hutton, J. (2007) 'People, Parks and Poverty: Political Ecology and Biodiversity Conservation', Conservation and Society 5: 147-183
- Hutton, J. Adams, W.M. and Murombedzi, J.C. (2005) 'Back to the barriers?: Changing narratives in biodiversity conservation', Forum for Development Studies 32, 2: 341-370
- Redford, K.G., Robinson, J.A., Adams, W.M. (2006) 'Parks as shibboleths', Conservation Biology 20(1): 1-2
- Adams, W.M., Perrow, M.R. and Carpenter, A. (2004) 'Conservatives and Champions: River Managers and the River Restoration Discourse in the UK', Environment and Planning A 36: 1929-1942.
- Adams, W.M. Brockington, D., Dyson, J. and Vira, B. (2003) 'Managing Tragedies: Understanding Conflict over Common Pool Resources', Science 302: 1915-1916
- Adams, W.M. Aveling, R., Brockington, D., Dickson, B., Elliott, J., Hutton, J., Roe, D., Vira, B., Wolmer, W. (2004) 'Biodiversity Conservation and the Eradication of Poverty', Science 306: 1146-1149
- Adams, W.M. and Infield, M. (2003) 'Who is on the gorilla's payroll? Claims on tourist revenue from a Ugandan National Park', World Development 31(1): 177-190.