How to apply for an MPhil
Specific Guidance on Geography Department applications
All applicants are advised to apply well in advance of the deadline for admission. We have a limited number of places for each MPhil and if the courses are full before the deadline, courses will close earlier than the advertised deadline for admission.
The deadlines for admission for October 2014 are as follows:
- Geographical Research: Monday, 10 March
- Multi-disciplinary Gender Studies: Monday, 3 March
- Polar Studies: Friday, 28 March
- MPhil in Conservation Leadership: Tuesday, 3 December
Applications for October 2014 can be made from the beginning of September 2013.
Applications are now closed for October 2013 admission.
Look at the course information on the website. The website is designed to give you the information you need. Please be aware that this information is subject to change owing to changes in available teaching staff. Final course handbooks are not distributed until arrival in Cambridge.
General admissions requirements for Geography:
- You must hold a good 2.1 or equivalent (GPA 3.5 or above) undergraduate honours degree
- You must satisfy English language requirements (these are checked by Graduate Admissions for the University)
- A completed Graduate Admissions (GRADSAF) application form (online or on paper) with two references plus other documents listed in the prospectus.
- An outline of a research plan for a possible dissertation, indicating the general problem to be addressed, the specific issues to be researched, and an indication of methodology (no more than 750 words in total) (not needed for MPhil in Conservation Leadership). This should be uploaded with your on-line application form with your other supporting documents. (Please read the information on the Graduate Admissions web site for more information about how to upload your supporting documents)
- For applicants for the MPhil in Conservation Leadership a 750-word statement of purpose, entitled "Why I would like to enrol in the MPhil in Conservation Leadership, and how my background provides the relevant leadership experience for the course". This should be uploaded with your on-line application form with your other supporting documents. (Please read the information on the Graduate Admissions web site for more information about how to upload your supporting documents)
- Your application should include information explaining your motivation for the MPhil and details of any employment or other non-academic experience relevant to the subject of the MPhil
- An indication of whether or not you wish to continue into PhD research on completing the MPhil
Incomplete applications may be delayed. Please allow yourself plenty of time to prepare your application and supporting documents. It is your responsibility to ensure the supporting documents are attached to your application to Graduate Admission.